Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Hedley's Tea Masters Ceylon Supreme



This tea is quite proud of itself.
100% PURE CEYLON. GARDEN FRESH. UNBLENDED. HANDPICKED. EXCEPTIONAL. UNIQUE.
The side of this tall, rectangular tin that isn't dedicated to a photograph of rolling green hills is determined to drum into your head just how amazing everything about this tea is with a quick thanks and a tale about their humble, traditional origins and their dedication to quality. Speaking of quality, the lid proclaims in capital letters:
"I PERSONALLY GUARUNTEE THIS TEA WILL MEET YOUR HIGHEST EXPECTATIONS. PLEASE WRITE TO US AND LET US KNOW HOW WE CAN SERVE YOU BETTER."
Signed, Saman Kasthurirathne. A name which I include because that is the best name ever. I mean, I thought my name gave people pause when it came to spelling, but that is just a whole new level. Wear that name proudly, good sir.
Back to the tea.
Luckily, the bravado seems not to be empty. This is a strong, rounded black tea. It's intense and robust unsweetened, and with a tiny bit of sugar its flavours mellow out to display a more fruity, citrus flavour. I find it quite nice with milk, but I'd only recommend it if you normally take milk in your tea to begin with. My milk-disliking mother found that it overpowered the tea entirely.
Whatever you do, though, do not make this tea too strong or oversteep it. The threshold twixt "robust" and "tastes like burnt coffee" is a fine one indeed.
In the end, this is a lovely tea for quiet mornings packed in a very talkative tin. I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment