Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Tiger Malt


Tiger Malt

Non-alcoholic malt beverage


We've had a method to our little tasting parties thus far. I take photos of the drink and it's then passed around. I taste first, my sister second, and my mother third, taking notes all the while. The problem we encountered with this is that after I delivered my conclusions, my sister would shrug and agree with me, adding little of her own input. What can I say? She's a very mellow lady. So this time she went first, to voice her opinions uninfluenced.

She sniffed it. Paused. Her brow knitted as she searched for the right words.

"Tomato soup." Pause. "Or ketchup."

She sniffed again.

"With a bit of cheese. And maple syrup."

We stared at her, mouths agape.

"What?" I asked.

She stood by her conclusion. The only thing the scent reminded me of was a rather egregious batch of "Haytime Switchel" we once made. I'll tell you about it some time.

All absurdity aside, this drink smells and tastes heavily of molasses with notes of caramel. It's a bit sweeter than expected and has a sort of burnt aftertaste which is odd, but not entirely unpleasant. It looks lovely, dark and smooth and foamy, with an attractive design. I'd actually recommend it as a beer-substitute for the teetotaller. It's creamy and heavy and might not be to everyone's taste, so I'd give it a try just to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment